Zurgena

Zurgena is divided in two by the Almanzora River. On one side is La Alfoquía or Barrio de la Estación, and on the other, on a hill, sits the old town. The town is also home to the Cueva del Llano de las Eras, an archaeological site where remains from the Argaric era have been discovered. The town has around 3,000 inhabitants. Included in it's territory is the Barrio (hamlet) of El Cucador.

HISTORY

Zurgena has historically been the gateway to the Almanzora Valley. The first populations go back to the Neolithic period, with up to two towns from this historical period located near the boulevard. The land is of volcanic origin, sharing this characteristic with much of the rest of Andalusia. The resultant fertile land and the presence of water made Zurgena an ideal place for Neolithic man.

Centuries later, Zurgena became a Roman settlement; the Ruta Verte was a Roman road that connected Granada and Murcia. The route passed through the current La Alfoquía neighborhood. Currently, you can see the old Roman road behind the remains of a gas station.

With the arrival of the railway to the Almanzora Valley in 1885, the town changed considerably. The Zurgena train station (located in the La Alfoquía neighborhood) was, for about a century, the most important in the region and one of the most important in the province. Thanks to a recent restoration, railway facilities such as warehouses, now empty and out of service, where all the surrounding goods were deposited, have been preserved. Similarly, locomotive and wagon workshops existed in the vicinity of the station. The main economic activity here is agriculture, although the economy was formerly dominated by the production of raw materials like iron, copper, silver and marble.

THINGS TO SEE

Antigua Estación de Ferrocarril de Zurgena

The Zurgena Railway Station was opened on March 28, 1885 and closed on January 1, 1985. There were three types of trains passing through this station; ‘el frutero’, ‘el correo’ and ‘el mineral’. El Frutero was a freight train carrying a third-class wagon with wooden seats, leaving the station every morning and returning at dusk. El Correo was the train which delivered the mail, with two couriers circulating daily; Alicante-Granada in the morning and Granada-Alicante in the afternoon. El Mineral, also called “Yankis” because it was manufactured in the USA, was the train that transported iron ore from the Serón and Los Canos loading docks to the Hornillo in Águilas. From the existing mines in the municipality of Lubrín, iron ore arrived at the Zurgena Station by truck. They dumped the merchandise on the ground, at the foot of the train and a large number of people were in charge of loading it onto the wagons. The workers had, as their only work tools, esparto grass and rakes. The sentry box, which served as a shelter for the points operator is still preserved today. Located on Avenida Quinto Centenario. Those interested in Railways, Mines and industrial history should visit the detailed website The Great Southern of Spain Railway and the Zurgena Railway museum.

Iglesia Parroquial San Ramón Nonato

In 1525, Zurgena acquired the privileges of owning its own Church, and thus being able to form a parish, without having to belong to the town of Huércal-Overa as it had until then. The construction of the old part of the Church was carried out over the site of a former Mosque. The work was completed in 1560, although it has subsequently undergone reforms. Due to the dates which bookmark its construction, we can say that it was created in the Neo-Mudejar style. Located in Plaza de la Iglesia.

Torre del Reloj

The Zurgena clock tower has two bodies of height, the first being square, 4.85m on each side and slightly more than 4m high, presenting two steps or recesses at different levels. A second body is mounted on top measuring 4.50m, with octagonal corners. The total height of the clock tower is about 7m and it is covered by an Arabic tile roof, topped by a weather vane with the electrified bells of the clock. Located on Calle Aire.

Ermita del Calvario

The Chapel was built between 1874 and 1878. It was constructed on this site because the Saint known as the “Virgencica” is said to have appeared to a shepherd on the Calvario hill. The door features a plaque which thanks everyone who contributed to the restoration of the building in the 1990s. The nave is naturally illuminated by two large windows, located at the height of the altar. Located on Calle Calvario.